As I watched my mom cook when I was younger I remember being slightly repulsed as she handled all the raw meat. She literally would cut every piece of fat off the chicken breast (I knew I got it from somewhere) so quick and fast. I will never be that fast... mostly because I have to take small breaks because I think it is so gross to try and saw off fat of a dead animal. And then there was meat balls and meat loaf. It is such a weird food... meat, eggs, and other random things all mixed together... with your hands. Sick. I think I promised myself as a child that I would never ever make meatballs and never eat meatloaf. I just don't know what it is about meatloaf. Anyhow... to the point of my story.
I bought a new book, Positively Ageless, which I love. It's chalked full of good for you information with some great recipes (except for the Pesto Speghetti Squash, don't make that one). I really wanted to try the Spanish Meatball Soup but I knew that went against my belief system. What to do, what to do.
So I just broke down and made it. I was simmering the base ingredients and then I had to make the turkey meatballs. I put all the ingredients in a bowl and I practiced saying, "I'm going to mix raw turkey and raw egg together with my bare hands." I put my hand in and it was so cold and so gross and I just started mixing. Then I thought to myself I should capture this momentous moment on film. I took the bowl in one hand, walked across the kitchen to grab my camera, and took a photo with my left hand. I mean, we must document the moments in our life where we grow up, but are still grossed out. {The soup was to die for}.
No comments:
Post a Comment