Sunday, May 3, 2009

Beginning The Goodbyes

Warning: I'm fat, I'm hormonal, and I'm emotional. It's just not a good combo.  

I have 6 weeks left in the school year and then I'm going to pack up all my accumulated materials, books, lesson plans, books on autism, and most importantly... my memories. I'll say goodbye to my awesome aides and teachers that I've been with forever and drive away. I'll say goodbye to the kids that have changed my life through the years. 

I'll probably not be back. 

I feel my baby kick, twist, and turn and I love it. I know he is mine and although I'm saying goodbye to something that I love... I'll be saying hello to someone that I know I'll love even more.

I love the parents I have worked with. I have learned from them and I have seen how their lives are changed by not only have a baby, but by discovering their child has autism. I have seen their perseverance, their patience, and their dedication. 

I have seen how their hopes and dreams for their child are still there, just different. I feel so grateful to know them and to be apart of their lives. I'm better for knowing them and I will miss them. 

I was reminded of all of this last week when Cameron and I went to a fundraiser to raise money for Par 4 Kids Sake. This organization was started by Eric and Cindy Everson, parents of two autistic sons, to raise awareness about autism and to help find a cure. They are inspiring, just like many others I know. Read their story here. 


1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Lovely, lovely post.

I hope you've also seen what your commitment to such special children has done for the families that deal with autism everyday. You're a huge part of Tim's story ... in my mind, a story of great success.

Can't wait to pamper the giant baby!

Much love,

cz