I'm ok at cooking... but when it comes to baking... it's a big fat NOT OK. Somehow I always think I can substitute when you just really shouldn't substitute and things just never turn out right. So here's where the new leaf comes in... cinnamon rolls are being baked this Sunday while we are home for General Conference {love this Sunday}. Don't call me, I will be too busy stressing out.
Now for the sewing. I think it is an unwritten rule somewhere that new babies should have homemade quilts and blankets. My mom has got me covered on the blankets and I'm taking on the quilt. Let's keep in mind I haven't sewed in about 12 years (except for my guitar onesie I just made) so there have been numerous steps to take:
1. Recruit Emily for my private lessons... I bet she is hating that she agreed to this {Remember I'm bringing you homemade oreos in return. I haven't forgotten.}
2. Buy fabric {Elaine's Quilt Block in Utah is the bomb}
3. Buy everything to cut and measure the fabric {this is not cheap}
4. Buy a sewing machine
I've done steps 1-3 and now I just have to get the machine. Turns out I could have bought 100 blankets for the cost of this one homemade one. But let's be honest, homemade is not cheap and not easy {at least for me}. My rule of thumb in the past has been, "If you can make it, you can buy it." I always went for the "buy it" and now I'm not sure what has happened?
Wish me luck.
2 comments:
you are turning into such a cute little mormon mommy housewife! it's so cute. i wish we could get together and have a sewing party. believe it or not - matt and i did this with our friends tauni and jared and the boys got so into it that they hogged the sewing machines (we made the burp clothes). so fun!
There's something about realizing that when you have a baby you're going to be stuck in the house a lot. That's why we sew and cook...cause what else are we going to do all day.
I'm excited to help you sew...but, confess, that I'm more excited for the homemade oreo cookies.
I can help with those cinnamon rolls too...if you need help. I have a killer recipe. It only takes an hour to finish them--start to finish.
By the way, I hope you're still taking pictures of yourself, because I have hardly any of me when I'm pregnant and totally regret that. It's ok if you don't post them but at least take them.
Post a Comment