Friday, May 17, 2013

Declan's Birth Day

Three boys born in the same hospital. Three pictures in front of the hospital standing in the same place. I love it except the only pic we got was distorted. What's not distorted though is how huge and swollen I was. Sigh. 
Things got off to a rocky start when the anesthesiologist couldn't get the spinal in. About 20 minutes and a million pokes later he called for someone else to do it. He tried one more time while we were waiting and he got it in the right spot. That's the last I remember. They aren't really sure what happened to me but I blacked out and stopped breathing for at least 5 minutes. They were about to intubate me but I woke up right in time. Someone was rubbing my hand and people were yelling my name asking me questions. I was completely out of it and just remember feeling like it was so hard to breathe. I had no clue what had happened and I had no idea my baby had been born. It was for sure worse for Cameron though because he was in the hall when they called Code Blue. He had no idea what was going on and he just saw people running down the hall into the OR. I guess as soon as I stopped breathing they got a team in there and got the baby out in less than a minute. At this point Cameron saw a saw a lady in jeans and a hospital hat running out of the OR holding Declan. Someone said to Cameron, "Your wife is having a hard time but she's breathing now so you can go with your baby." It all happened so fast. Cameron went down to the see the baby for a second and then they let him in the room with me. We're both so sad we missed Declan's birth but so, so happy everything is ok. I spent a long time in the recovery room and they ran a bunch of tests. They still don't know what happened but it's all good. I'll be forever grateful that nothing worse happened that day. 

My mom brought the boys to the hospital and they were so sweet with Declan. They both seemed genuinely interested in the baby and it is one of my favorite memories. Thank goodness for my mom because Cameron spent a lot of time at the hospital, because of what happened, and she watched the boys like a pro.

I seriously love Declan something fierce. I couldn't be more grateful for my life and my little babe. The power of prayer is so, so real. 

4 comments:

Chris Neidig said...

What a sweet, wonderful post of the birth of your darling Declan. Loved the adorable pictures and all the sweet words you said about your little family!

W and J said...

So so crazy!! I'm so glad you were completely okay after the scare. I can't even imagine. But he is the sweetest babe and these pictures are amazing. YAY for super-grandma. Glad you had Cam by your side the whole time!! Hugs, mama!

Emily and Alan said...

seriously so scary I'm so glad everything turned out fine. You got some amazing pictures. Those pictures of Weston and Declan make me want to cry!

anya said...

still a little erked about how things went down for you guys during this stay! ugggg. but, all is well that ends well. and i am glad that all turned out well. xoxoxo